Poems for 72 days, Day 4

The poor man can do everything
On Robinson Crusoe's* island
But let me inherit the riches of experience, history, and the chiseled arm of strength in this world
And the wealth to forge within me a new nation 

*I first read about Robinson Crusoe's Island in my introduction to economics course when we were studying trade. I always marveled at what it would be like to be Robinson Crusoe - to survive on an island alone, without the need for specialization and trade and complete self sufficiency. So this poem was essentially in his honor. After writing the poem today, however, I decided to research the Robinson Crusoe reference out of curiousity. What I learned about Robinson Crusoe's character in the name sake novel written by Daniel Defoe appalled me. I had to tweak the poem. #The things not in the text book; the things you need to learn outside of the classroom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reasons it hasn't worked

Gender Politics: My take on B*tch & Lupe's B*tch Bad

Unending goodbyes