Poems by Zane A.

A good friend of mine tagged me to a poem titled I miss on facebook this past Saturday. I immediately wrote to her about sharing the poem on my blog and she has approved! While the poem is very specific to her experience when we both studied in Ghana a little over a year ago, Zane's poem brings to memory so many of my own.

I miss was especially welcoming yet surprising to read because I have been trying to creatively express missing my grandmother and Ghana more recently than I have in some time. I wrote about it in Unending Goodbyes. Zane also shares a poem she says "is synced to or inspired I miss". It is called Nothing like it. I look forward to featuring more of Zane's work on this blog.

I miss 

Oooh. Ghana. yy....
I just wonder if I'm the only one who thinks of Ghana, of Accra, like 34/7... It never lets up. 

Somehow, I think a lot about me traveling within Ghana, and those experiences. 
Interacting with people on and off campus.
The spirit of every. day. time..

I miss the perfect weater. And those hotter days. And, those hurricane days, too (a.k.a. rainy season). 
Just the way you greet, and talk to people. Respecting older.

Ohh, I miss Accra at night.
I miss being w/ my family everyday;
Dancing to "the good music" with my family.

I miss that English Department there... like a clean, safe crackhouse for the African Lit. junkie. Lol. 
That dept. was my home. I feel like the knowledge amongst the instructors and studying students in that dept. is unmatchable. 

I miss how if I didn't want to be in my room, I just went. And returned for sleep.
I miss the laughter, and the rough- hearted jokes. 

I can see me at a time at Medina Market, looking very stupid.
And I can see me at Medina Market again, somehow having become a savvy and knowledgeable market shopper. (Becca Cummings, where you at...)
I remember the lady I buy oranges from at Medina- how her Mom was there one Saturday- how she would kindly scorn me every Saturday for buying from other sellers... hehe. I miss her, I miss it all!

How on my last trip to Medina Market, my ears picked out all of the "Ko Laffia?"s and "Laffia Lo."s being spoken. Hearing the Hausa. I was on my way...

I miss the azonto. Repeat, lol, I miss m'azonto!!!! I miss the music. (Thanks to the internet, though, that's 1 thing I'm still in tune to.) 
I miss that sexy, swag, fast talk Twi- from my boo- Sar-ko-di-e!!! [chalie, i go want more..]

I didn't mention plantains yet. Eating rice and fried plantains, growing round and happy. I miss. 

I miss the moon in Ghana. Carrying all types of messages and confirmations..

I miss all 20 of the CSUIP crew that started an adventure together.
And I miss that loving top floor of I.S.H. 1. It was all about that top floor....

Being in love and heart-broken over Ghanaian men- maybe I love and miss that too..
Remembering that I shouldn't forget my first love in Gh: La Tawala Beach. 

I miss being little sister at the WEB DuBois Centre for Pan African Culture. They let me be there. Grow. Learn. Ultimate respect for the DBC. A piece of my spirit is always going to be on that property. [In the Marcus Garvey Guesthouse, :) ha] I just cant wait to return.

And all of the negative and embarrassing experiences I had... funny how they disappear as soon as they come to mind. 

Mm, Maame Ghana; new love and new sadness... Take me there.
 

Nothing Like It 

Today,
I caught myself thinking
about
Nighttime in Accra.
Nothing like it

Moon laws, and spirits.
Dancing.
Children.
The Office-
Nightlife in Accra

Grilled Tilapia.
"Night-Catch..!"
Me'ko daa...
Nighttime in Accra
Nothing like it

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reasons it hasn't worked

Gender Politics: My take on B*tch & Lupe's B*tch Bad

A friend for the end of the world