First post on Music


Today's post is on my lover, music. I think, breathe, and literally speak music (ie. I quote lyrics randomly in conversation :)). I always tell myself that in another life, I was either a rapper, singer, or dancer or all three. This blog is indeed going to be very much that - very much music. In addition to my musings on life, work, and play, I will write and share a lot of music by the artists I love! For me, music is a story of and about people's lives and as the rapper, J. Cole, poignantly writes on his twitter headline, "my story ain't the only one I'm trying to tell".

My first post on music comes by way of Ms. Hill. I came across a status on facebook raving about Lauryn Hill's performance (and comments about Nikki, etc) at Hot 97's Summer Jam and finally came across the video on clutchmagonline.com. I am writing a post on this because I have replayed the video (below) several times tonight. Lauryn is an amazing singer and rapper and while I only listen to her, specifically the album the Miseducation of Lauryn Hill, from time to time, I have immense respect for the woman and the artist that she is. On this particular performance however, her voice sounds different to me, really different. It is still refreshing and inspiring to see her back at her craft after a long hiatus (see Talib Kweli's song Ms. Hill, Kanye West's song Champion or even Jay Z's song Star is Born to get a snippet of what she has meant to the rap game). But for the sake of comparison, I have linked The Fugees song Ready or Not. She just doesn't sound the same. I am not making a judgement here, just noting what to me is a striking difference.

 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reasons it hasn't worked

Gender Politics: My take on B*tch & Lupe's B*tch Bad

A friend for the end of the world