Reasons It Hasn't Worked

I'm a sucker for Love
And this is no simple trite notion,
This is my reality.

I'm a sucker for 
hands held
lips kissed
shoulders caressed
I-love-you's whispered.
I am at her mercy,
And seduced by her warmth.

I'm a follower of Denial,
And my shepherd leads me well,
Straight into relationships that were never right,
But somehow meant to be.

I follow her from 
This-will-never-work
to
We-are-perfect-for-eachother.
From
Maybe-I-should-give-him-a-chance
to
I'm-staying-at-his-place-this-week.
From
complicated loneliness
to
complicated bliss. 

I'm a child of Hope,
And I have my mother's eyes. 

I see a man who may not be the one,
But who will do his best not to hurt me,
Until, of course, he can't do his best anymore.
I see a future filled with grace and marked by certainty.

Forever drawn in by the prospect,
Held by the sweetness,
And let go by the enlightened heart of a man who promised me the love of my life.

His realization is our denouement. 
And my broken heart is mine to heal.
Knowing that I could've prevented this by explaining
That we will always have Love,
But we will never be right,
And that I will always be...

A sucker for Love
A follower of Denial
And a child of Hope.
 
by Cecily Bumbray
 
Find more of her work, including her music, here:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gender Politics: My take on B*tch & Lupe's B*tch Bad

Reasons it hasn't worked

Unending goodbyes