Sometimes, a woman is king

For Chandler 
On unlearning love and the things we carry 

I once proposed a man's womb and you have given it to me
A birthing of a new understanding of love and place
And power
And power
On power you say that asking me who I am with besides you is asking for too much power
Seeking to be with me all the time is too much power
To ask for all my engagements is too much power
Too much concern
We do no definitions, no boundaries
No promises of forever, no curfews on truth
To do trust deeply and not superficially
So no phones seized, no requests to follow, our relationship does not trend
You want to be together fluidly
It's imperfect and difficult, we know
But we believe that it's stronger where running.

Our experiences have not yet caught up with our innocence
My flower ideals do not align with the life we know
I ask for change seeking to note failure,
Cashing out fear, imitating cinema
We script who we want to be still living in dogma
Cautionary tales I seek to avoid constrain me
We have been both dressed in pain
And I often slip into insecurities - those passed to me, those I've lived, those we have created
And there, my thoughts congeal on the things I am told I ought to know...
Like your past, your father, those women, your aspiration, a future
I seek a revolution unknowingly resettling on old places and old structures
Truthfully, I seek to do it differently
You say we can do it differently
Build our kingdom anew
Be royalties where there has never been one.

And so I have asked to be a Queen, your queen
And you have questioned
Often to my pleas, clinging to the familiar
You have proposed to a woman that she be King
Not in those words but in thought and action
If our time together is our ceremony, you say you are crowning me god
Of my identity, of my experience, of my past, of this present
And as the King, you say I can leave whenever I choose 
You say my dynasty is where ever I take it
It is not tied to any being, not even you
You remind me that it is stronger where running
I am steadily building my kingdom anew.

Poems for 72 Days, Poem 14

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gender Politics: My take on B*tch & Lupe's B*tch Bad

Reasons it hasn't worked

Unending goodbyes