For the king

For a friend I lost 

I once read that,

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing,
there is a field. I’ll meet you there."


I wanted to meet you there.

But you will realize 
Albeit too soon upon my final farewell
That whether you chose wrongly or never deliberately chose
The tumult of never knowing if you will stay
When you will leave, if you will remain,
Made our union treacherous against my wish for persistence
My heart clenching to the novelties of thought made striking in our night's laughter
Though morning left with a cold emptiness, nothing to behold. 

I never knew that soon after I told you that you are such a poet,
Pleading that you should stay here with me,
You would leave.

I hope that one day you will read this and wonder as I do
Why we never made it that far
To the field.
Always repeating lessons God wanted us to learn once
Why we never made it beyond worship.

Poems for 72 Days, Poem 10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reasons it hasn't worked

Gender Politics: My take on B*tch & Lupe's B*tch Bad

Unending goodbyes