What we should have done

As Blu sings, we should have done the first things first
Spoken gently and caressed those healing wounds pried open swiftly by the hopeful bliss of new love, first
We should have taken walks at dusk, learning carefully to discern the wrought of lust from the determination of love
Do instead those things which will sustain commitments first 
Asked the important questions first
How do you like your hands to be held? Do you hold fingers, playing a melody switching from one to the other? Or do you join palms as if in prayer?
Do you like to kiss? Would you kiss your loved one for people the number of stars in the sky to see?
Do you hold grudges? Would you laugh with me if I laughed at you?
Do you...
First.

Second
We started from the ending and tried to downstream up
We engaged quickly in physical pleasantries
We reveled the depths of excited novelty
Letting morphing larvae within us betray us
Making me incapable of letting it go
Those times were fun
It was the thrill.

Third
When someone else held your heart,
We should have done it differently
When you denied it and I dismissed it,
Longing dissipating from your eyes as you looked at me,
Having planted yourself in someone's womb, intertwined elsewhere deeply,
You should have done it differently
Been forthright
I should have asked more
For since we did not do so in the beginning,
We should have done the ending more deliberately, solidly

Or not done it at all.

Fourth
I keep telling myself that we remember differently
We remember all things differently
My experiences have been mired by this affliction
The weight of the context making what was for you a short excursion, an unfathomable experience for me.

Fifth.
Maybe we will do it again
In different bodies
With different people
Or with each other
And do then those things which sustain commitments first.

Poems for 72 Days, Day 14

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reasons it hasn't worked

Gender Politics: My take on B*tch & Lupe's B*tch Bad

Unending goodbyes