Is it Africa's Turn*?

My cousin asked me not too long ago about my perspective on Africa's development. His exact words were, "it's an exciting time to be in Ghana. The country is teeming with possibility. We are on the move - Africa is on the move. It's like the dawn of independence all over again, except this time we'll get it right. Do you share my optimism, or do you think it's misplaced?"

Although I had a reflex response to the question at the time, I wanted to give the question more consideration and told him that I have to do more research on the topic. This is in essence my response to his question after some thought and reading.

The question of Africa's development trajectory is hard to answer because firstly, I am not yet in an expert capacity to give a credible, technical answer (so feel free to contribute). Secondly and primarily, the question presents for me many conflicting opinions, perspectives, and a contradictory narrative whose nuances I am not sure I can fully articulate. But I will give it a try.

Most development experts and economists are writing about Africa's economic growth prospects and the change of tide on the continent in the past decade. The Economist published an article called the Lion's Kings? in which it reported that from 2000 to 2010, six of the world's ten fastest-growing economies were in sub-Saharan Africa. Moreover, according to the Africa Progress Report, Ethiopia recorded higher growth than China, and Uganda outperformed India from 2005 to 2009. Many countries on the continent are entering middle income status. Africa's population is growing. Many countries are peacefully transitioning to democratic rule, including the third peaceful elections in Sierra Leone this past weekend. Indeed, there are many good prospects on the continent.

 
But these projections are at times faulty, failing to account for global crises which impact aid, grants, and remittances, all contributors of economic stability and growth in a country. Moreover, democracy and other institutional structures are fragile and the fear of persistent conflict leaves many weary. In my work observing the countries on the United Nations Peacebuilding Commission, democratic transition is often of great concern not necessarily because of violence during elections or voter turn out but in the physical transition of government in the hands of a powerful few - a question really of whether the incumbent is willing to leave office or whether the opposition is willing to accept defeat. The cases of the post election violence in Cote d'Ivoire in 2010/11 and coups d'etats in Guinea-Bissau and Mail this year are evidence of this.

Honestly, I am not of the state failure or Africa is doomed diatribe so hear me out. There are just valid criticisms of modern African development which we cannot ignore in our enthusiasm for Africa to make a turn. Even in countries of relative peace, there are concerns about and challenges for development. Recently, Liberian President Ellen Sirleaf stated that sub-Saharan Africa has failed at achieving certain key indicators of the MDGs. Growth where present is highly unequal, and development is slow**. For many, the metaphorical African government/big man with the big belly consuming the national treasury of the land everyone toils still stands true. There are also the issues of growing food insecurity, drug trade in the West African coast - specifically in Guinea and Guinea Bissau as the war in Latin America intensifies and turns Africa into a hub, the emotional and psychological impact of globalization and modernity for some, loss of land with new land grabs and development deals, and the growth poor.  Youth unemployment, "terrorism", education, health, China, etc. 


Moreover, human rights is an issue of contention on the continent. Despite economic and political progress, many governments have laws forbidding the marriage and mere congregation of gay people. Legally, they can be sentenced to prison; on the streets, they are raped, beaten, or stoned to death. Nobel Prize Laureate Ellen Sirleaf said in reference to criminalizing homosexuality that "we like ourselves the way we are". Religion aside, tradition complicates development in that irrespective of gains to political rights, many African people still believe in the mediation of spirits and ancestors in daily life in ways which are real and not simply fathomed. (To frame this a bit, let me make it personal: I believe witchcraft is real though born and raised Christian.) It is in this regard that books such as Bewitching Development by James Smith provide a telling narrative of how personal beliefs intersects with politics and the public development discourse on the continent. Intimate violence for women and children is also rampant despite the UN's constant declaration of the decade of the African woman and the like.


So while I would support the assertion that progress has been made, African governments and peoples face many challenges. I think this is a fair assessment most people will make.

The other interesting question for me is by what standards are we measuring development and progress? Relative to what are we measuring progress? To Western democracies and institutions? Moreover, who are truly the winners and losers of the current development discourse? An honest discourse should not over look the elements of power which are at play. Africans are not victims of this "development project". Rather, they are and have always been agents, victims, and a complex mixture of both which within the context of history makes for really hard negotiation between people and things.


One of my favorite intellectuals, post development thinker Gustavo Esteva asserts that the project of development has created this discourse of the haves and have-not, the center and the periphery, the hegemonic structure and the subaltern. Many governments and development agencies continue to promulgate the homogenization of people and cultures, especially under the premise and promise of Western style capitalism and democracy. He argues that there are a multitude of ways in which the "underdeveloped" or specifically, those who have come to realize the disillusioning promise of development, are reclaiming their lives and identities. Esteva and others created a commune called Oaxaca in Mexico on the premise of embracing multiplicity. He argues that for non Western peoples, the promise of development will not come to pass; in fact, it is to their demise.

But still yet, many African governments push to be further integrated in the global capitalist structure despite their ranking. We also seek democracy.

I truly believe that an honest person will admit that capitalism as we experience it now is flawed. Capitalism presents a fundamental issue for truly equal and free social organization because it simply asserts that what ever one can buy, one has a right to own. But do you truly have a right to own anything you can buy - especially in light of how slavery and colonialism institutionalized and entrenched global inequality between the East and the West (ie. we are all not starting on the same playing field)? Moreover, just because you can't afford something, does that mean you do not have a right to own it - think health-care, education, political incorporation? Moreover, what is the price of development? As Cornel West asserts, “if your success is defined as being well adjusted to injustice and well adapted to indifference then we don't want successful leaders." In a similar light, if growth comes through corruption, nepotism, injustice, is that honest progress? Growth at what costs? What about limits to growth, the environment, climate change ? Moreover, is the idea of institutions something that truly resonates with Africans? Can we allow for other forms of governance? Sustainable development?

To be clear, I am not nostalgic for the times of economic, political, and social repression which promulgated my parents to leave Ghana in the early 90s. Not in the least bit. I am not sure I will trade the luxuries - among which are inexpensive access to the internet, access to affordable meals, school, hot shower at my disposal, relative safety, and elusive yet possible economic mobility - I enjoy today for that which I had in Ghana. Hardships in Africa are symbols of underdevelopment (by Europe, America, and even Africans themselves). Furthermore, I will not stand in the way of any African who leaves their country in search of the American or Western dream. I once joked with my mother that she should warn her family members that it is not what it seems. But while it is not what it seems, it is better than what a lot of people in Africa and many other places around the world have. There is something endearing about having the opportunity to make it and to have a "voice". So when I think of Winston Churchill's famous assertion, that "democracy is the worst form of government except for all those others that have been tried", my realism kicks in.

However radical I am in thought, my experience of being without and struggling within this current system often sobers me. I am radically pragmatic; I have to be.

I guess I just have to stand by my contradictory thoughts and conflicting feelings on this one. I don't know if it's Africa's turn. While I definitely believe that progress has been made, I am not necessarily optimistic or pessimistic on change and progress. Some days, I am not even sure of what those terms mean. But I really encourage all those who are optimistic to remain so and to work to that end. There is something truly powerful and magical about self fulfilling prophesies as a friend reminded me today. So to my cousin, while I do not share your optimism, I do not believe that it is misplaced.

*Africa's Turn was a report published by Goldman Sachs encouraging U.S. businesses to invest in Africa.

**The Africa Progress Report can be found on that page 
 ***Yes, my analysis on a whole continent are gross generalizations. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reasons it hasn't worked

Gender Politics: My take on B*tch & Lupe's B*tch Bad

Unending goodbyes