Lifted

I'm the first to admit that I love conscious, deep music, especially rap. But sometimes J.Cole, Kendrick Lamar, Lupe, Jay Z, Biggie, Lil Brother, Drake, Nas, et cetera take me for a whirlwind and I often end up emotionally drained and in the pitfalls of unpleasant thoughts. So I go to my pick me ups. I am currently going through my playlists on Youtube and thought to share some of my favorites to counterbalance all of the depressing music I share on here.

1. The Roots. Especially my The Roots Pandora station. This song, Star, takes me so high.


2. J. Dilla, Common. *Words can't do justice to Dilla's work*
 
 
 

3. Camp Lo, Pharaclyde, Slum Village (Dilla), A Tribe Called Quest, Visioneers, 90s Rap I guess. The instrumentals, the beats, just the Vibe!






4. MMG. Specially, Wale and Meek Millz's hood anthems. I have never sold drugs nor do I have aspirations for a career in rap but I can relate to being broke and chasing a dream. So every time I listen to I'm A Boss, especially before exams, I feel like I can do ANYTHING and I usually do. Hustle speaks to hustle; you have to stay on your grind. 

 

5. 80s Soul Classics. I have my dad to thank for this. This is his favorite genre and basically what my sisters and I grew up listening to before we had a choice on what got played in the car. Get yourself a good 80s playlist and you're good. 




6. Latin Music. You do not grow up in the South Bronx going to the Bodega everyday and not develop a deep affinity for Aventura. Celia Cruz is my girl though! 

 


*By the way, I am not saying that these songs are not conscious music; they are equally or more so than the ones I listed in the paragraph. The only difference is that they do not make me depressed. They make me feel good.

What music takes you higher?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reasons it hasn't worked

Gender Politics: My take on B*tch & Lupe's B*tch Bad

Unending goodbyes